As part of Rigid Lifelines™ ongoing effort to educate new generations on the importance of safety through proper fall protection, Rigid Lifelines™ is proud to announce the second annual Rigid Lifelines™ Fall Protection Scholarship Essay Contest. This contest was created exclusively for United States high school seniors who have been accepted to an accredited college or university and have an interest in workplace safety. Students from across the country are encouraged to participate by submitting an essay answering one of the following three questions.
- Workplace fatalities have decreased from 6,217 in 1992 to 4,609 in 2011. What advancements in equipment or adjustments to standards and regulations may have aided in lowering workplace fatalities?
- How do falls from height affect the US workplace?
- What is the most effective way of preventing falls from height in the US workplace? Why?
- Are there certain industries in the US that are more at risk for falls from height? Why?
Entries will be judged on originality, quality of research, and the ability to effectively present one’s point of view.
A scholarship prize of $1,000 will be awarded to the winner.
- Essays must include original content, plagiarism will not be tolerated.
- Essays must be submitted in English.
- Essay contest topic should not be used in the title of the essay.
- Essays must be typed on 8.5" x 11" paper with 1" margins. The fonts should be 11 or 12 point Arial or Times New Roman. The essay should contain 500-1000 words.
- Essays should include name, age, email address, postal address, high school currently attending, college expected to attend, and phone number to contact.
- Immediate family members of Rigid Lifelines™ employees are excluded from the contest to avoid conflict of interest.
The deadline for receipt of essays is May 1, 2013. A winner will be selected on June 1, 2013. Works produced either during the year of submission or during the previous calendar year are eligible for the competition. Rigid Lifelines™ reserves the right to post any essay submissions or essay winners names to our website and social media channels as we feel necessary for marketing initiatives.
Please submit all essay entries and contest questions to email@example.com.
Read about our 2012 scholarship winner here!